FREE — The Let’s Encrypt certificate authority provides completely free TLS (Transport Layer Socket) certificates that are accepted by all major browsers. With a Let’s Encrypt certificate, you and your site visitors will be able to access your web site through a secure channel (https://) without receiving warnings. Certificates are renewed every 60 days, through a process that can be completely automated.
The major advantage of Let’s Encrypt certificates is the free automated process for obtaining them, along with the encryption that they provide. They are domain-validated certificates, meaning that the verification consists only of confirming that they are installed by the domain owner.
Unlike commercial certificates, they do not:
- provide the green bar of organization validation certificates,
- a warranty of misuse or mis-issuance, or
- additional features such a site seal.
More Information: https://letsencrypt.org/
Socket Layer (SSL)
PRICES VARY — A security certificate is the key to decrypt messages by an authenticated message receiver. The Secure Socket Layer (SSL) is used for transmitting and accepting secure information and for encrypting entire sessions that contain confidential information.
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificates are used to provide security on a web server where:
- Credit card and other payment transactions occur,
- Users provide personal and confidential information, and
- Web pages or programs need to securely submit data to a server.
We recommend GeoCerts’ QuickSSL Premium Certificate, a GeoTrust SSL Certificate.